From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 11:03, 27 September 2015 by Brandon
This badge allows Cubs to enhance their knowledge of the solar system and constellations.
- Teach another Cub how to use the pointer stars of the Big Dipper to find Polaris, the North Star.
- Show how to orient and read a seasonal star map. Be able to find five constellations of your choice.
- Learn and tell a story related to a constellation or an aboriginal legend regarding the night sky.
- Know and describe 3 sky features:
- (a) Milky Way
- (b) Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights
- (c) Comets
- (d) Meteors
- (e) Planets
- (f) Stars
- (g) Satellites
- (h) Eclipses
- Know the phases of the moon and the moon's role in causing ocean tides
Program Suggestions and Resources
Resources for Requirements
- Uncle Al's Starwheels, most will use English - Northern Hemisphere Starwheel
- Kepler Star Wheel - Updated star wheel, including stars with exoplanets.
- Finding the North Star (Polaris)
- Making and Using a Star Wheel: English français
- Learning the constellations / Constellations Visible in Canada
- Sky Features (know and describe 3 of the following):
- Constellation Stories / Aboriginal Legends (tell one story / legend):
- Phases of the Moon
- The Moon’s Role in Causing Ocean Tides: Basic Requirement / Other Interesting Info
Other Useful Links
- Explore the Night Sky - Scouting Life Magazine January/February 2009
- Make Your Stargazing Events Shine - Scouting Life Magazine January/February 2009
- Sky News the magazine of Canadian astronomy
- Explore the Night Sky - Links from the above Scouting Life article
- Stellarium - free open source planetarium for your computer Excellent!
- Navigator - software for identifying stars and planets
- Sky Maps - printable monthly maps of the night sky and notable celestial events for the month
- Make a Star Finder (NASA) (Activity)
- Star Finder (also known as a Planisphere) from the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Educational Resources from the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Royal Astronomical Society of Canada hosts local star parties and provides local outreach services.
- NASA Human Space Flight (Canada) Lists International Space Station sighting opportunities over Canada
- The Space Place for Cub Scouts A neat resource from NASA.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY