Under the program revitalization effort of the Canadian Path, this article is no longer be applicable to the current program.
It remains here for reference purposes only.
For information on items replacing this topic, see Cub Scout Space.
This badge allows Cubs to enhance their knowledge of the solar system and constellations.
- Teach another Cub how to use the pointer stars of the Big Dipper to find Polaris, the North Star.
- Show how to orient and read a seasonal star map. Be able to find five constellations of your choice.
- Learn and tell a story related to a constellation or an aboriginal legend regarding the night sky.
- Know and describe 3 sky features:
- (a) Milky Way
- (b) Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights
- (c) Comets
- (d) Meteors
- (e) Planets
- (f) Stars
- (g) Satellites
- (h) Eclipses
- Know the phases of the moon and the moon's role in causing ocean tides
Program Suggestions and Resources
Resources for Requirements
- Uncle Al's Starwheels, most will use English - Northern Hemisphere Starwheel
- Kepler Star Wheel - Updated star wheel, including stars with exoplanets.
- Finding the North Star (Polaris)
- Making and Using a Star Wheel: English français
- Learning the constellations / Constellations Visible in Canada
- Sky Features (know and describe 3 of the following):
- Constellation Stories / Aboriginal Legends (tell one story / legend):
- Phases of the Moon
- The Moon’s Role in Causing Ocean Tides: Basic Requirement / Other Interesting Info
Other Useful Links
- Explore the Night Sky - Scouting Life Magazine January/February 2009
- Make Your Stargazing Events Shine - Scouting Life Magazine January/February 2009
- Sky News the magazine of Canadian astronomy
- Stellarium - free open source planetarium for your computer Excellent!
- Navigator - software for identifying stars and planets
- Sky Maps - printable monthly maps of the night sky and notable celestial events for the month
- Make a Star Finder (NASA) (Activity)
- Star Finder (also known as a Planisphere) from the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Educational Resources from the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Royal Astronomical Society of Canada hosts local star parties and provides local outreach services.
- NASA Human Space Flight (Canada) Lists International Space Station sighting opportunities over Canada
- The Space Place for Cub Scouts A neat resource from NASA.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY