From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 20:06, 14 January 2011 by WikiSysop
This badge allows Cubs to enhance their knowledge of the solar system and constellations.
- Teach another Cub how to use the pointer stars of the Big Dipper to find Polaris, the North Star.
- Show how to orient and read a seasonal star map. Be able to find five constellations of your choice.
- Learn and tell a story related to a constellation or an aboriginal legend regarding the night sky.
- Know and describe 3 sky features:
- (a) Milky Way
- (b) Aurora Borealis or Northern Lights
- (c) Comets
- (d) Meteors
- (e) Planets
- (f) Stars
- (g) Satellites
- (h) Eclipses
- Know the phases of the moon and the moon's role in causing ocean tides
Program Suggestions and Resources
- Explore the Night Sky - [*http:scoutinglife.ca Scouting Life Magazine] January/February 2009
- Make Your Stargazing Events Shine - [*http:scoutinglife.ca Scouting Life Magazine] January/February 2009
- Explore the Night Sky - Links from the above Scouting Life article
- Stellarium - free open source planetarium for your computer Excellent!
- UNCLE AL'S HANDS-ON UNIVERSE STAR WHEELS (Northern Hemisphere) Excellent!
- HowStuffWorks? - What causes high tide and low tide?
- Make a Star Finder (Activity)
- Navigator Software - Identification of stars and planets
- A neat resource from NASA is this link: http://spaceplace.jpl.nasa.gov/cubscouts/
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY