Family Helper Badge
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 08:29, 19 January 2011 by WikiSysop
This badge helps Cubs develop practical skills and knowledge around simple household chores and responsibilities (such as basic cooking and cleaning.) 
With the help of an adult, do any seven (7) of the following:
- Show how to use the kitchen stove or microwave oven safely, and then make tea, coffee, cocoa, soup or cook an egg.
- Set a table for a two course meal for your family.
- Know how to load and operate a dishwasher, of show the proper way to wash dishes by hand.
- Clean windows and mop a floor.
- Make a bed and clean and tidy a room.
- Vacuum a rug.
- Show the correct way to answer callers at the door and on the telephone, and show how to pass on a message.
- Wash and dry a load of laundry and iron your neckerchief.
- Show how to recycle, compost and dispose of household garbage.
- Sew on a badge and a button.
- Discuss how to properly dispose of household toxic waste such as paint, oil, paint thinner, old medicine, cleaners and batteries.
- Wash an automobile.
- Keep an entrance to a home clear of snow for one month
- Water a lawn or garden for one month.
- Show that you can reduce your family's energy costs by turning off lights and electrical equipment that are not being used during a one week period
- Part 1 can be cross-linked to the Cooking Badge.
- Several items (3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14) can be considered as Blue Star A1, if done regularly for a month or more.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY