Difference between revisions of "First Aider Badge"
(Created page with "Image:first-aid.gif:right == Outcomes == Through hands-on instruction, Cubs acquire basic skills and knowledge of simple first aid, including rescue breathing, burn treatment...")
Revision as of 16:13, 17 January 2011
Through hands-on instruction, Cubs acquire basic skills and knowledge of simple first aid, including rescue breathing, burn treatment, and treatment for frostbite. 
With the help of an adult, do the following:
- (a) The meaning of first aid
- (b) The meaning of medical aid
- (c) The three most important measures you must learn to save a life
- Do the following:
- (a) Demonstrate first aid for a conscious choking casualty.
- (b) Demonstrate first aid for a severe wound.
- (c) Show how to care for an unconscious person.
- (d) Show how to give first aid for a burn or scald.
- (e) Show how to give first aid for a wound that is bleeding.
- (f) Show how to stop a nose bleed.
- (g) Show what to do if your clothes or another personâs clothes catch fire.
- (h) Describe the signs of frost-bite and how to treat it.
- (i) Describe what to do if an insect or animal bites you or another person.
- (j) Explain how to prevent and treat hypothermia and overheating.
You can get more information from the local office of St. John Ambulance or The Canadian Red Cross that serves your area.
Note: The badge was recently updated, so older Cub Books may not have these requirements listed. See New Cub First Aider Badge, on [*http:www.scouts.ca Scouts.ca]. For example, "rescue breathing" has been dropped.
- Part 2a can cross-link with Watercraft Badge.
- Part 2i can cross-link with Winter Cubbing Badge 1a.
- Part 2k can cross-link with Winter Cubbing Badge 1e.
- The Cub Book pages 216-223 First Aid
- St. John Ambulance "We Can Help", course for 7-11 year olds, to be delivered by someone holding Standard Level First Aid.
- Carleton Area Scouting - Old Wolves Club : PACK PROGRAM: BLUE STAR: FIRST AIDER BADGE
3rd Aurora Cubs two-night lesson plan
From Akela (Scott C. Mackintosh) of 3rd Aurora Cub Pack.
- First Aid Badge - Lesson Plan Presentation (PDF)
- First Aid Badge - Follow Up Test (PDF)
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY