Life Saving Challenge Badge
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 09:46, 19 January 2011 by WikiSysop
To demonstrate knowledge of life saving techniques with various types of victims.
- Earn the Life Saving III Award of the Life Saving Society of Canada. OR
- To the satisfaction of a qualified instructor, complete the following:
- Know how to treat and prevent further shock of a victim.
- Be able to identify unconscious and injured victims.
- Demonstrate the HELP position with a PFD or other swimming aid for 3 minutes.
- Demonstrate the front survival position for 3 minutes.
- Demonstrate the "egg beater kick". (Scout may use arms for support)
- Enter the water in the "stride" position, maintaining eye contact with the victim.
- Enter the water as though for a rescue using maximum speed (shallow dive).
- Show how you would avoid being grasped from the front and the rear by a drowning victim.
- Remove an unconscious victim from the water, with the help of an assistant. (Assistant should be of equal knowledge as the rescuer)
- Rescue a non-breathing victim. Provide rescue breathing until relief of responsibility is available. Demonstrate care once victim starts to breathe on their own.
- Provide support for a weak, injured or non-swimmer with minimum risk to the rescuer. Provide care until relief of responsibility is available.
- Provide assistance to a weak or poor swimmer in deep water with a non-buoyant aid while avoiding high risk to the rescuer. Provide care until relief of responsibility is available.
- Swim 400m continuously. Do not use the "resting" stroke.