Paddling Challenge Badge
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 08:50, 19 January 2011 by WikiSysop
Demonstrate the skills and knowledge to safely handle a canoe, kayak or similar craft on flat or slow moving water.
NOTE: You must wear a properly fitted PFD while in a boat.
- Explain safety in, on and around water.
- Properly select and wear a suitable PFD or life jacket. Explain your choice and how it applies to Scouts Canada regulations.
- Demonstrate the use of a rescue-line throwing assist and an additional reaching or throwing assist.
- Explain and demonstrate self-rescue. i.e. Swim canoe ashore.
- Explain and demonstrate Canoe-over-Canoe rescue.
- Name and point out 10 parts on your craft and 5 paddle parts.
- Explain the care and handling of your small craft, including launching and landing from a dock or shore.
- Explain how to avoid the following conditions and their treatment:
- Heat Exhaustion
- Heat Stroke
- U.V. ray exposure
- Know the Transport Canada regulations that apply to your small craft.
- Paddle equally well in bow and stern or, if your craft requires, solo.
- Demonstrate the stability of your craft, i.e. rocking vigorously.
- Pivot your craft 360 degrees, in both directions.
- Paddle a straight line for 100m.
- Demonstrate the following strokes as they apply to your craft; Forward bow stroke ; "J" Stroke; Stopping; Sweep; Reverse Paddling; Draw; and Pry.
- Paddle a distance of 10km.