Pathfinder Outdoor Skills Award
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Revision as of 09:56, 19 January 2011 by WikiSysop
Through participating in various outdoor activities and camps, Scouts develop advanced outdoor knowledge and skills, with a focus on hiking and extended camping in safe and environmentally friendly way. 
- Camp outdoors for a minimum of six (6) nights, not including those done for the Voyageur Award. This must include at least two, two-night or one, three-night camps, and one lightweight or mobile camp.
- Participate in three (3) additional hikes/trips of at least six (6) hours duration each:
- (a) One must include an overnight stay of at least two nights. (These nights may be included in the camps detailed above).
- (b) Another must be in winter conditions.
- Note: For the purpose of this requirement alternate methods may be chosen, i.e. bikes, cross-country skiing, horseback, canoeing, etc. Motorized transportation is not acceptable.
- Demonstrate the proper care, use and maintenance of equipment including stoves, tents, axes, saws, cooking equipment.
- Plan a menu for two Scouts for a weekend camp:
- (a) The plan shall have minimum of five (5) meals.
- (b) The plan must include a food and supplies list, which includes quantity.
- Plan a balanced menu for a patrol of Scouts for a weekend camp. The plan shall have minimum of five (5) meals and must include a food and supplies list which includes quantities required.
- Sleep in a temporary overnight shelter that you built, while minimizing the damage to the environment.
- Demonstrate square and diagonal lashing and describe their uses.
- Demonstrate to Voyageur level Scouts the proper care, maintenance and packing of personal camping gear suitable for a two-day camp. Include sleeping bag, pack, clothes, boots, etc.
- Identify four wild birds and four mammals that are indigenous to the area where you live or camp. Keep a list of the sightings you encounter on at least two camps or hikes.
- Identify four types of trees/shrubs in the area you camp or hike in.
- Identify four types of wild flowers in the area you camp or hike in.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of cooking residues, grey water and body waste.
- Plan and lead an Environmental project for your patrol/troop.
- Demonstrate throughout the Pathfinder Award that you have put into practice your personal Environmental Code and Leave No Trace philosophies.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY