Difference between revisions of "Recycling Badge"
(Created page with "right == Outcomes == By practising recycling's "three R's," Cubs develop a practical knowledge of how to reduce, reuse and recycle items. This helps them co...")
Revision as of 15:53, 18 January 2011
By practising recycling's "three R's," Cubs develop a practical knowledge of how to reduce, reuse and recycle items. This helps them contribute positively to the quality of life in their local environment. 
Do any three (3) in each of the categories:
- Look in your home or in a store for products that could be sold with less packaging.
- With the help of an adult, check the tire pressure in a car to see if the tires are properly inflated to improve gas consumption.
- Bring your own non-disposable mug and eating utensils to use at camp or bring a garbage-free lunch to school regularly.
- Make a list or draw how you and your family could reduce the amount of electricity used at home.
- Describe in writing or by drawing, how you and your family could save water when washing, cooking and doing yard work.
- Make a list or draw how you and your family could reduce the amount of heat needed to keep your home warm.
- Choose something that you currently throw away and come up with a new idea on how to reuse it safely.
- Explain and show new uses for old plastic containers.
- Explain and show new uses for old jars and cans.
- Make a project from old lumber or Christmas trees.
- Describe and show new uses for different kinds of paper, greeting cards, bags and cardboard boxes.
- Repair and donate old toys to somebody.
- With help from an adult, collect old clothes, furniture or books and donate them.
- Build a composter and either use it yourself or give it to a friend.
- Help publicize a home toxic waste collection day in your community, such as for collecting old paints, garden chemicals, oil,etc.
- Tell or show your pack three products that are made with recycled materials.
- Participate in a recycling project such as a bottle or paper drive.
- Visit or learn about a company or industry that is involved in recycling or collecting recyclable materials.
- Make a list of products that display the recycling symbol.
- Using old paper products, make your own recycled paper.
- Help organize or participate in a recycling program.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY