Under the program revitalization effort of the Canadian Path, this article is no longer be applicable to the current program.
It remains here for reference purposes only.
For information on items replacing this topic, see Aquatic Skills.
Cubs learn basic swimming knowledge and skills, with an emphasis on safety.
To earn the Swimmer Badge, hold one of the Canadian Red Cross Swim Kids Level 6 (formerly AquaQuest Level 7) award or the Lifesaving Society Swimmer 4 award, or do the following requirements:
- Explain and show how to use the buddy system.
- Show how to check a swimming area for possible dangers, such as deep water, rocks and slippery surfaces. (Red Star A3)
- Complete all of the following:
- (a) Tread water in deep water (over your head) for a minimum of 1Â½ minutes.
- (b) Enter the water using the front dive (the stride position).
- (c) Front crawl 25 metres.
- (d) Back crawl 25 metres.
- (e) Endurance swim of 50 metres.
- Note that the Red Cross AquaQuest has been changed. See the AquaQuest to Red Cross Swim Kids Conversion Chart.
- Water Smart Advice for Parents, colouring page and matching game, ages 8 and up.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY