Difference between revisions of "White Water Challenge Badge"
From Scouts Canada Wiki
(Created page with "right == Purpose == The safe and responsible handling of a canoe, kayak or similar craft in moving water. '''NOTE:''' You must wear a properly fitted PF...")
|Line 39:||Line 39:|
Revision as of 16:29, 28 February 2011
The safe and responsible handling of a canoe, kayak or similar craft in moving water.
NOTE: You must wear a properly fitted PFD while in a boat.
The Paddling Challenge Badge is a prerequisite for this badge.
- Describe the effects on the craft of rocker, wind, river current and load positioning (including paddlers).
- Discuss the following parts of a rapid: sweeper, keeper, souse hole, haystack, roller, whirlpool, eddy, deep water V, submerged rock, areas of strong current, and eddy line. Discuss the importance of scouting a rapid before entering it.
- Select and wear a properly fitted PFD and helmet.
- Discuss Provincial regulations on PFD's and demonstrate proper use.
- Discuss the importance of a helmet.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of three hull material. (Royalex ABS, Fibreglass, Aluminum, etc.)
- When would a wet or dry suit be necessary.
- Demonstrate accurate throwing with a throw bag.
- Demonstrate appropriate footwear.
- In moving water demonstrate an effective:
- High Brace
- Low Brace
- Sideslip left and right
- Back paddling
- Eddy in and eddy out on the left and right
- Up stream ferry left and right
- Down stream ferry left and right
- Demonstrate what to do if capsized.
- From the International River Classification System describe Class 1, 2, 3 Rapids
- Considering your skill level, strength and the type of equipment you are using, what would make a rapid unrunable for you?