Difference between revisions of "World Conservation Badge"
From Scouts Canada Wiki
(Created page with "right == Outcomes == Cubs gain knowledge and skills to help protect and preserve the local environment. This helps flora and fauna continue to thrive, ...")
Revision as of 12:05, 15 January 2011
Cubs gain knowledge and skills to help protect and preserve the local environment. This helps flora and fauna continue to thrive, and improves the quality of local habitat. 
Do any six of the following:
- Go on a hike in or around two different habitats such as a field, marsh, bog, woodlands, seashore, prairie or tundra. In each habitat discover the following:
- (a) What animals live there
- (b) What kinds of plants live there
- (c) What the ground or soil is like
- (d) What the sources of water are for this area. Compare the two habitats and discuss why some plants and animals live in one place and not the other
- Visit a habitat and discover what kinds of plants and animals are there that provide food for other animals. How does food encourage or limit what animals live in the area?
- Visit a habitat and discover what kinds of animal and insect homes are there. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each kind of home you find.
- Visit a habitat and look for signs of water. How does water affect where and what kinds of plants and animals live there?
- Find out what it means to be an endangered species. Choose one endangered species and make a poster or a presentation to your pack on how it has been hurt by a lack of food, water, shelter, space or other causes. What can people do to help this endangered species survive?
- Do a project that improves food, water, shelter or space for wildlife. Some ideas are:
- (a) build and install bird houses or feeders
- (b) clean up a stream or creek
- (c) plant trees or shrubs that have fruit for animals to eat
- (d) remove trash or stop erosion so more; plants and animals can use the area
- Discuss the different kinds of soil, water and air pollution that exist. How do these forms of pollution affect your health and the environment, and what can be done to stop or limit pollution sources?
- Write some rules for good behavior while in the outdoors and share these with your six or pack.
- 6a: The option of making bird feeders can be cross linked with Tawny Star B2, Black Star A8, Black Star B2, Observer Badge 2, Winter Cubbing Badge 3 and even Carpenter Badge.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY