Aquatic Skills Stage 1
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Aquatic Skills - Stage 1 Competencies & Requirements
- I know when to use a PFD (Personal Flotation Device).
- Scouts can describe when a PDF is necessary.
- I can float for five seconds and glide for five metres on my front and back without assistance.
- Scouts can enter a swimming pool and (under the supervision of a lifeguard) demonstrate the water skills.
- I can put my face in the water and blow bubbles.
- Scouts can blow bubbles underwater.
- I understand the importance of the buddy system and how it works for swimming and water activities.
- Scouts can demonstrate (in practice) the buddy system (selecting a buddy, watching out for their buddy, etc.).
- I know how to stay safe while playing around water.
- Scouts can demonstrate awareness of risks by using (and encouraging others to use) protection such as sunscreen, UV clothing, hats and sunglasses (where appropriate).
- I can get an object off the bottom in chest-deep water.
- Scouts can demonstrate this skill in a pool or a lake.
- I know three different types of animals that live in the ocean.
- Scouts can name or describe the sea animals.