From the Scouter Manual:
Objective: I will have fun making food and exploring healthy eating. When planning your adventures, you might like to have
- an adventure that involves eating outdoors
- an adventure in which you learn about lightweight/backpacking food
Remember, when sharing food with others, be aware of possible food allergies.
Here are some ideas to help you start creating your own adventures
- Prepare a meal with help. Tell your family or Lodge about how you made sure to use healthy food and/or all the food groups.
- Try three new foods that you’ve never tried before. Which foods do you like? Why?
- Create and make a recipe that includes all the food groups in Canada’s Food Guide.
- What are four foods that you like to eat and are healthy for you, too? If possible, prepare one of these foods to share with your Lodge.
- Make, buy or ask a Scouter for dehydrated food. Taste it as is (dehydrated), and then work with an adult to prepare it as if you were on a backpacking trip. Taste it again. What do you notice?
- Talk to a Scout or Venturer Scout to find out what foods are good to take on a backpacking trip and why.
- Work with older Scouting youth or with an adult to cook a meal over a campfire.
- Make a trail mix that everyone in your Lodge could eat on a hike. (Check first for food allergies in your Lodge.)
- Talk to a Scout about how he or she does dishes and deals with garbage when out backpacking.
- Why is milk (or eggs) kept in the fridge and why don’t Scouts take a jug of milk (or a dozen eggs) when backpacking? Can you think of a way that Scouts could take milk (or eggs) in their backpacks?
- Figure out ways to keep food cold or warm using everyday materials. What appliances and tools do we have around the house that help us heat and cool food?
- Make a picnic for your family to take on a spring or summer outing. Have you included something from all the food groups listed in Canada’s Food Guide?
Need some more ideas?
Look at the Trail Cards for Rusty’s Meadow: Active & Healthy Living.
Pick a suitable adventure for this badge that you would like to try on your own.