- pita bread (1 half pitas per "serving")
- pizza sauce
- grated/shredded cheese
- "toppings" (suggesting pepperoni, cut into small cube-like pieces)
A note on ingredients: Uncooked vegetables such as onions and peppers will not cook in this method. Best to cook in advance. Similarly with meat, it is best to use pre-cooked meats, such as bacon bits and pepperoni.
- Open up the pita pocket
- Spoon in some pizza sauce
- Add a modest amount of other ingredients
- Top with cheese
- Wrap well with aluminum foil
Prepare in advance:
- Squares of burlap (estimating 12" x 18"), soaked in wax
- Using 6" burlap ribbon (approx 18" in length) is a lot easier! Available at craft stores.
- Wrap the foil covered pita pocket pizza with waxed burlap
- Place in a safe place (campfire pit, BBQ, gravelled area, etc.)
- Support the pizza with a few rocks, to allow it to burn underneath
- Be sure that some safety water is nearby, in case fire spreads
- Light a corner of the waxed burlap
- Watch as the whole thing burn!
Once the fire is out and the burlap has turned to ash, unwrap and enjoy!
Try flaming pizza sandwiches using english muffins. Yummy!