Pet Care Beaver
From the Scouter Manual:
Pet Care Beaver
Objective: I will learn about animals which make good pets and how to care for pets. When planning your adventures, you might like to have
- an adventure in which you help with a real animal
You do not need to have your own pet. You could help with someone else’s pet.
Here are some ideas to help you start creating your own adventures
- Create a “Top Ten” list of animals that you think would make good pets. Why did you choose these animals? Who would enjoy each pet the most?
- Care for your own pet or help someone care for his or her pet for two weeks.
- Visit a vet clinic or an animal hospital. What kind of pets do they help keep healthy? What do they do for pets? Draw a picture of a pet you saw there, showing how it was cared for.
- Visit an animal shelter. Find out about the animals they help. Why do these animals need help?
- Visit a kennel, a pet groomer or a pet store and find out how they help people who have pets.
- Visit a bird reserve. Why do these birds need a safe place? Would any of these birds make good pets? What kind of birds can be kept as pets?
- Interview someone who has a pet. Why did he or she choose this pet? How did he or she name the pet? What is the best part of having a pet? What is the most challenging part of having a pet?
- Bring your pet to show the Beaver Colony. Talk about why you have this pet, how you chose its name and what it eats. (Remember to check with your Scouters before bringing in the pet. Does anyone in your Colony have allergies to pets?)
- What do you think is the most unusual pet? What do you think is the most common pet? The largest pet? The smallest pet? Show your ideas in a creative way.
- Describe or draw your ideal pet (it doesn’t have to be a real animal). What would it look like? How would it behave? What would it eat? What would it do all day? What colour would it be? Why would this be a good pet for you?
- If you were to have a fish, what would you need do to keep the fish healthy and happy?
- Take a whole bunch of photos of your pet and make them into a collage showing the many moods of your pet.
Need some more ideas?
Look at the Trail Cards for Big Brown Beaver’s Lodge: Citizenship.
Pick a suitable adventure for this badge that you would like to try on your own.