Sailing Skills Stage 1
From Scouts Canada Wiki
Sailing Skills - Stage 1 Competencies & Requirements
- I can explain the risks of cold water.
- Scouts should simply understand that cold water means your body will not function as well as it should.
- I can explain what a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) is for.
- Scouts will show that they know and understand the purpose of a PFD.
- A PFD must be worn all times when sailing, and a PFD is to be put on before entering any watercraft.
- I can put on my PFD and know how it should fit.
- Scouts will demonstrate that they know how to properly put on a PFD, making sure all buckles and zippers are properly fastened and will make sure that their PFD is snug enough not to slide over their heads.
- I can show how to avoid sunburns.
- Scouts can show how to avoid sunburns by using sunscreen, and wearing a hat to avoid sunburn and heatstroke.
- I can show how to contact the emergency services.
- Scouts can show how to contact the emergency services at a local emergency number, and to request assistance from the nearest adult.
- I can show where the bow and stern are in a sailboat.
- Scouts will be able to tell the difference between the front and back of their boat and will know the proper names.
- I can jump into chest-deep water wearing my PFD.
- Scouts will be able to demonstrate that they are comfortable getting into and out of the water wearing their PFD’s.
- I can blow bubbles in the water for ten seconds.
- Scouts will demonstrate that they are comfortable putting their faces in the water for ten seconds.
- I can explain and have demonstrated how to behave safely in my sailboat.
- Scouts will demonstrate, while in a boat, that they must keep their weight low in the boat and are able to balance themselves by holding the gunwales. They should also demonstrate that if they are not sailing that they should sit on the floor and that there should not be any jumping, sudden movements or horseplay while in the boat.
- I have taken part in a short sailing adventure of at least an hour.
- Scouts will have experienced a short non-powered sailing adventure.
- Scouts only need be in the watercraft and must wear their PFD properly.
- I have participated in a fun physical fitness program designed for sailing.
- Scouts should participate in a fun physical fitness program designed for sailing that improves flexibility, builds stamina, improves strength, quickens their speed, and improves their skill level, suitable to the age of the participant.