Cubs learn basic swimming knowledge and skills, with an emphasis on safety.
To earn the Swimmer Badge, hold one of the Canadian Red Cross Swim Kids Level 6 (formerly AquaQuest Level 7) award or the Lifesaving Society Swimmer 4 award, or do the following requirements:
- Explain and show how to use the buddy system.
- Show how to check a swimming area for possible dangers, such as deep water, rocks and slippery surfaces. (Red Star A3)
- Complete all of the following:
- (a) Tread water in deep water (over your head) for a minimum of 1Â½ minutes.
- (b) Enter the water using the front dive (the stride position).
- (c) Front crawl 25 metres.
- (d) Back crawl 25 metres.
- (e) Endurance swim of 50 metres.
- Note that the Red Cross AquaQuest has been changed. See the AquaQuest to Red Cross Swim Kids Conversion Chart.
- Water Smart Advice for Parents, colouring page and matching game, ages 8 and up.
- Taken from MEASURING SUCCESS - THE SCOUTING WAY